Tuesday, November 4, 2008

I love the Beatles.

Dear Friends,
I saw a blog that got me started up on The Beatles today and figured I'd give a list of some of my favorite songs. They're in no order what-so-ever and there are certainly other songs that deserve big praise that aren't on this list. Brother Nick's Picks are below mine and needless to say, he has impeccable taste.

Glass Onion - The White Album
The White Album is both avant-guard and retrospective. This song specifically references a bunch of The Beatles' previous work and puts them into a nonsense context. I'm partial to John's weird darkness in the later recordings and this song manages to be gritty and psychedelic instead of the more pop oriented like Lucy In The Sky and I Am The Walrus.

Baby Your A Rich Man - Magical Mystery Tour
The Boys liked to mix up pieces that Paul wrote (Baby, you're a rich man) with stuff that John had written (One of the beautiful people) and the band as a whole would make them work to together. The song is abstract, ironic, quirky and light hearted. The combination of the various rhythms, the hovering Clavioline (an anolog synthesizer invented by Michel Gondry's grandfather) and the chanted chorus offer up a perfect weird balance that all Pop Art should possess.

Dear Prudence - The White Album
This song is slow build from start to finish that swirls and thumps it's way to a tear drop climax. John wrote this because his friend wouldn't leave her bedroom...I bet she came out to play after she heard it.

Here Comes The Sun - Abbey Road
This song makes the list for it's technical facility as well as it's sentiment. The recording procedure on Abbey Road was by far the most advanced of it's day and this song contains so many layers, dubs, synthesizers and harmonies that it remains one of the deepest and smoothest recordings ever. On top of all that gadgety stuff the sentiment of the song is optimistic and sophisticated. Truly a work of that agrees with my aesthetic almost entirely.

A Hard Days Night - A Hard Days Night
One big twelve string chord and some cowbell makes us all fans of The Beatles! This song is definitive of the band's early sound and demonstrates the level of intensity they were planning on bringing to the music scene. Also, Ringo didn't drum this well again until Abbey Road. When I hear this song I'm reminded of why I love The Beatles.

BROTHER NICK'S PICKS

All You Need Is Love - Magical Mystery Tour
Without a doubt one the most powerful songs I know. Possibly one of the most powerful songs of 60's and 70's. Soothing, true, and just GOOD(not to mention the song was released world wide in one day and recorded in one take).

While My Guitar Gently Weeps - The White Album
This is the reason George is my favorite Beatle. The voice overs on him just sound awesome. The backing piano and organ give this song a very eery tone, while George literally wails on a screaming, crying, weeping guitar. I love it!


She Came In Through The Bathroom Window - Abbey Road
A song which can not be over looked on the B side of Abby Road. Paul's voice and funky bass, John and George with rolling background harmonies, and Ringo......just holding a perfect Beatles beat, all come together wonderfully. Not to mention a chorus that remains my favorite chorus of all time. Makes no sense, but great harmony with another tasty time change.

We Can Work It Out - Day Tripper/We Can Work It Out Single
A song released way ahead of its time. A perfect 50/50 among John and Paul regarding song writing, pure singing ability and harmonies. I think the chorus in this song is brilliant. A beautiful mixture of John and Paul vocally, with a time change that is unmistakably perfect. And finally, the harmonium. An instrument which usually gives a song a sort of rusty squeeze box feel, puts this song in a shiny gold chest!!

Here Comes The Sun - Abbey Road
By far one of my favorite songs of all time. George managed to take you along for a beautiful, bright, and happy trip. Building each verse up to quite possibly one of the most pleasant choruses I've ever heard. I also feel this is one song where Ringo really was the only fit... Without a doubt one of George Harrison's finest!

Please leave a comment and tell me your favorites.

Phill

7 comments:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Cousin G's Top 10:

Golden Slumbers/Carry That Weight/The End
Penny Lane
Tomorrow Never Knows
Yesterday
Blackbird
All You Need is Love
Happiness is a Warm Gun
I Wanna Hold Your Hand

colleen said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
colleen said...

if i fell
help
because
do you want to know a secret (nostalgic)
hey jude (thank you royal tenenbaums)
i'm only sleeping
ps i love you
we can work it out
across the universe

oh so good.....

DefunctProduct said...

Well, I don't know if I am as qualified to offer up such a luxurious explanation of my favorite Beatle's songs, at least, not as of yet. I have never seemed quite able to narrow them down to a few that I can agree are emotionally/technically satisfying. And with so many versions and stages of creativity that followed this band of mop tops, when choosing a song, the choice is not merely a representation of a that song, but one of a constantly changing entity, from beginning to end, (which I think you put well when you cite John and Paul's ability to combine seemingly unrelated works into one masterpiece). But I will have to try. For now, I will mention two that stand out to me upon every listen and do not seem to be stigmatized by popularity, or over use in entertainment, but are simple and tragic and carry a philosophical layer through the words and also the performance. But hey, really, what Beatle's tune did not?

-Julia
-Junk

DefunctProduct said...

I would like to now add Eight Days A Week because its a great example of their early pop gems which manage to be quite spicy with the unexpected musical delights such as the clever guitar intro as well as the classic Beatle's humor displayed in the title which if I recall, was just one of many a-comment made by Ringo, who apparently mixed up his phrases quite often as seen in others like Hard Days Night.

Mike Lenahan said...

Ticket to Ride
You've Got to Hide Your Love Away
Across the Universe
I Am the Walrus
Eleanor Rigby
A Day in the Life
Dear Prudence
Helter Skelter
Revolution

and all things Ringo